Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

If someone suffered an injury 10 years ago but the injury

Customer Question

If someone suffered an injury 10 years ago but the injury didn't cause death until now, can a wrongful death suit still be filed within 2 years after the person's death? For instance, let's say a customer fell in a store and went into coma. And the person
remained in coma for 10 years and recently died in that comatose state due to complications from the fall 10 years ago, can a wrongful death lawsuit be filed 2 years after the person's death? Or the statute of limitation would have expired within 2 years after
the fall? Moreover, if the person had been discriminated against and publicly humilated in the store leading to an onset of severe depression and suicide 10 years later, can a wrongful death lawsuit still be filed against the store?
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
is it less than 2 years from the death?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry sir but I don't understand your question. However let me rephrase my question. For wrongful death lawsuits, can the lawsuit only be filed within 2 years after the injury leading to death first occured, or the statute of limitation doesn't begin running from when the injury began but only after death has occured?
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
You may pursue claim and have clock run from date of death, not date of injury since the claim is wrongful death and not negligence. I wish you the best. I trust the answer has been helpful. kindly let me know.