Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years litigation experience
19958803

In Texas, can a judge, who is appointed by the mayor, make

Customer Question

In Texas, can a judge, who is appointed by the mayor, make a decision on the case if one of the attorneys is also the mayor?
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is Barrister and I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can..This would appear to be a potential conflict of interest for the judge as he may have some personal relationship with the mayor and it would give the other side of the case grounds to ask the judge to recuse himself from the case in favor of another judge who didn't have any personal affiliation with any of the parties..A judge has a legal and ethical duty to recuse himself in a case if he has any personal relationship with either side and feels that it might possibly affect or prejudice his hearing the case..However, if the other side didn't raise an objection and file a motion to recuse, then as long as the judge disclosed any relationship with the attorney, then he could still legally hear the case if he felt he could make an impartial judgment...thanksBarrister