Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor
26798026

If a skip trace returns multiple current addresses defendant

Customer Question

If a skip trace returns multiple current addresses for a defendant and the defendant was served through nail and mail at one address, would it be okay for plaintiff to wait and see if defendant would default before plaintiff asks for permission to continuing
searching for defendant so as to serve process? Or once proofs of service have been submitted to the court, the court would not honor request to serve process again?
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
Once the defendant is served and proof of service filed with the court, there is no need to serve them again. The plaintiff is allowed to wait and see if the defendant responds before doing anything else. But they're free to continue looking for the defendant if they want. The judge doesn't have to approve that.
If there is some reason to believe the defendant really wasn't served, the plaintiff could go ahead and serve again, then file a corrected proof of service. But that's not required.
It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Thank you.