ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

IF I LIE TO THE POLICE ABOUT WHO REALLY STARTED A FIGHT WHAT CAN HAPPEN TO ME? THEY CASE I

Customer Question

IF I LIE TO THE POLICE ABOUT WHO REALLY STARTED A FIGHT WHAT CAN HAPPEN TO ME? THEY CASE IS A DOMECTIC AND THEY ALREADY RECORDED MY STATMENT
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. A false report to a police officer is a crime. Florida Statute 837.05 False reports to law enforcement authorities.—(1)(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) or subsection (2), a person who knowingly gives false information to a law enforcement officer concerning the alleged commission of any crime, commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.(b) A person who commits a violation of paragraph (a) commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084, if the person has previously been convicted of a violation of paragraph (a) and subparagraph 1. or subparagraph 2. applies:1. The information the person gave to the law enforcement officer was communicated orally and the officer’s account of that information is corroborated by:a. An audio recording or audio recording in a video of that information;b. A written or recorded statement made by the person who gave that information; orc. Another person who was present when that person gave that information to the officer and heard that information.2. The information the person gave to the law enforcement officer was communicated in writing.(2) A person who knowingly gives false information to a law enforcement officer concerning the alleged commission of a capital felony, commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided So what can happen to you is that you could be prosecuted for a crime. Note, however, that they would have the burden of proving that you knowingly lied, meaning that you knew it was a lie at the time that you communicated it. If you were misinformed, or had an honest mistake of fact and communicated that to the police, that's not a "false report", even though it would be incorrect. But if they could establish that you knew at the time of the report that what you were saying was false, then that's something that could be prosecuted. Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!
Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?
Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)
Hello?
Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?
My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better) AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service as OK Service or higher. It's only then I am credited.