Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Can you file a lawsuit against the state of California to protect

Customer Question

Can you file a lawsuit against the state of California to protect people who are injured on the job and workers comp is unresponsible. They have left my daughter disabled. She was injured in 2012 and it is still going on. I feel like thy hope she just dies and goes away.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.
I am very sorry to hear about this situation.
While it is not possible to file a suit against the state of CA for the workman's compensation issue, it may be possible to move the matter into the judicial court for judicial review and thus in essence "sue" the state that way.
What happens is that if the administrative hearings within the Dept of Industrial Relations and the Workers' Compensation Appeals Board do not lead anywhere and the administrative (non-judicial) appeals are exhausted, one can theoretically file a Writ of Mandate, asking the COURT to review the decisions made. See here for how to do this.
While there is no guarantee, sometimes the Court reversed the administrative rulings. An attorney is recommended, if possible.
Good luck.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.