Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I was going through a green light. An I got T- Boned on the

Customer Question

I was going through a green light. An I got T- Boned on the passenger side. I was hit on the passenger door. The lady tried to tell me. That I ran a red light. So what I'm asking is. What's the law say about someone hitting you? Going through a light.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist. In practically all traffic accidents, the key issue is who had the right of way. Accidents involving a turn at an intersection are almost always the fault of the driver taking the turn. Cars coming straight into an intersection have the right of way in most cases, making the car turning left responsible for the accident.HOWEVER, if the car going straight through the intersection is speeding or runs a red light, this may shift some or all of the liability away from the car turning. Rarely, if the car started turning left while it was safe to do so, but was forced to stop because of some unforeseen circumstance, then some of the liability may be shift.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Here's a link to the rules of the road for Wyoming, which addresses several issues - - including rights of way: http://www.wymc.net/docs/DriverLicenseRulesoftheRoad.pdf
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
The rules on who has the right of way begins on page 4.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Really didn't give me the answer I was looking for..
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Hi -
I'm sorry if I missed something you were looking for and I'll be glad to try and rectify that. I understood the question to be who is at fault......and the answer I gave is whoever didn't have the right of way......
In this case, if you ran a red light, it was likely your fault....but if the other person entered the intersection and you had the right of way, then it was the other person's fault.
If the intersection has cameras, you can determine what happened by that. If not, you'll have to rely on testimony from you and the other driver and any other witnesses to the accident.
Please let me know the other questions you have.