richanne96
richanne96, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney in private practice in Phoenix, AZ
69015496

What is the crminal aspect if my dog is accused of

Customer Question

What is the crminal aspect for me if my dog is accused of biting someone
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  richanne96 replied 1 year ago.
Generally, unless you ordered the dog to bite the person, it is not a crime to own a dog that bites someone. However, you will have civil liability to the victim if the dog bite causes an injury that requires medical attention.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What if I left the scene with out giving people my name and number? Also-her dog bite my hand as I seperated the two dogs. Also I saw her scratch her own leg with the car keys she held in her hand as she was aslo trying to seperate the dogs. My dog did bite her bog on the leg ( minor injury) asI stayed till the vet finished treating her dog. I offered to pay the bill (85.16) then the bill became $125.00 - I told her I only had the $100.00.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  richanne96 replied 1 year ago.
So who paid the vet? And if you stayed until the end at the vet, how did the amount of the bill change? Leaving the scene of a dog bite still is not a crime. Dog bites are resolved in civil court, if at all. Your original question asked about penalties if your dog bit a person; now it sounds like your dog only bit another dog. If the other owner takes you to small claims court and has a vet bill for $125, you may be ordered to pay it, along with her court costs, which could be another $100. Better to work it out among yourselves.