Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I have a moderate case of Tardive Dyskinesia from taking Reglan

Customer Question

I have a moderate case of Tardive Dyskinesia from taking Reglan for 51/2 years. I am represented by a CA law firm. My question is "are settlements being reached now with the drug companies across the country? What has been the average settlement payout?
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; (B) If you receive a phone call offer while we chat, know that this is an automated test feature the site is running. Due to possible ethical issues, the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I normally decline them. Unless the phone call offer you receive literally states "THIS OFFER IS FROM ELY" (which means I personally initiated it), please do not entertain any such offer; and (C) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
I am sorry to hear about this situation.
Yes, settlements have been and are being reached with drug companies for the above.
Many of the settlements are confidential, meaning the amounts are not disclosed. Even if not confidential, there is no state or federal authority keeping track of the settlements. Because every case is different, it is nearly impossible to get a medium, mean, or average dollar amount.
I can tell you that in jury trials, the average jury awards were $1.2 to $5.2 million and involved injuries or misdiagnoses involving Reglan and tardive dyskinesia, so it would be difficult to judge the value or possible settlement of a Reglan case.
An educated guess would have the a Defendant likely try to settle for anywhere below a million for a typical case, although even this is a hypothetical range.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.