Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

Can i sue the police dept death of my son? He

Customer Question

Can i sue the police dept for wrongful death of my son? He was not the driver of the car he was in. The driver fled after being pulled over which lead to the chase. Both boys were killef
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
You can sue the police if it acted negligently and where its conduct caused his premature death.Normally handled by a lawyer working on commission fee basis. Martindale.com is a good resource.Let me know if that is helpful.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is considered negligence? My son was not involved in the decsion made by the driver. He was innocent
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The police are saying they remained within their guidelines throughout the pursuit.
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
is there evidence they didnt act with reasonable care and their conduct caused his death?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pursuit lasted 15 minutes on a major highway at speeds over 90mph. The police layed out spike strips, the boy swerved to avoid them and flipped the car
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
There is a viable claim here. The conduct was reckless and reasonably calculated to cause injury
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The police say they acted within their guidelines
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Several lawyers we have contacted said there is no case
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
Police will obviously say that to avoid a lawsuit.some lawyers may not want the case for different reasons.Look for a personal injury lawyer on contingency on martindale.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What im looking for is a answer that will guide me as if i should pursue this. Do u think we have a case. We are the parents of a child who was not involved in why the driver fled. The other lawyers said that we dont know why they fled. There could have been drugs in car, etc...the boy driving had no warrants
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
There is a case for wrongful death based on negligence and failure to exercise reasonable. One normally pursues this by counsel suing for damages to be determined by a jury, and handled on commission fee basis. Often during discovery such cases settle.