richanne96
richanne96, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney in private practice in Phoenix, AZ
69015496

My husband left me when I was pregnant. We intentionally

Customer Question

My husband left me when I was pregnant. We intentionally planned our fourth baby while using clomid. After several weeks of pregnancy he left me in a dependant condition as a stay at home mom with nothing for the children of me. I have endured severe emotional
trauma. My healthcare worker diagnosed me with post traumatic stress disorder and acute stress and other symptoms. There are several things that I have endured due to him leaving In a state of dependancy while I was pregnant that has traumatized me. Would
I be able to sue him for emotional distress or intentional infliction of emotional distress or anything of that nature?
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  richanne96 replied 1 year ago.
No, there is no separate cause of action that a spouse can bring against another spouse for leaving her, except for a divorce action. Of course, you may be able to get the sympathy of the divorce court, such that you improve your position financially in the divorce -- you may get extra child support or even spousal support awarded to be paid by your husband.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even if he intentionally got me pregnant 3 times in 6 months (2 miscarriages) and then intentionally leaves?
Expert:  richanne96 replied 1 year ago.
Even then. You played a part in getting pregnant as well. The legal remedy for a spouse who leaves is divorce. Of course, whether to carry the baby to term is your choice as well. The problem is that spouses inflict emotional harm on each other every day due to the nature of the relationship. The law does not allow a separate cause of action for spouses to sue each other over this.