Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor
26798026

This helped me. I wanted to find a place to read and so I

Customer Question

This helped me. I wanted to find a place to read and so I sat down. At first in a grassy area. Then it occurred to me that might be someone's property so I sat on the sidewalk instead. This man comes out later and makes me leave. He treated me like a hardened criminal. But he was in the wrong? I'm not going to fight it. Don't want to cause more problems but it would be good to know.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.
It's not wrong if you had been still sitting on his property. Then you'd have been trespassing. But the sidewalks are public property. No one owns the sidewalks, except in some subdivisions where they're owned by the HOA (in which case, the HOA could ask you to leave).
Loitering is a crime in California, but you'd have to have been either looking inside the house, or "wander[ing] upon the private property of another, at any time, without visible or lawful business with the owner or occupant." You were on the public sidewalk, though, so, technically, that's not a crime.