TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

I am in need to recover a personal loan since one year ago

Customer Question

I am in need to recover a personal loan since one year ago without luck. The person in question also hauled insult and threats at me at this point by threatening police report, restraining order and called me mentally illed with no intention to pay back money at over $2800. I like to sue him for psychological harm and get my loan back. In desperate need, Lucy
Category: Personal Injury Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried countless times and I was going through quite an emotional roller coaster with the intentional neglect and insults. I have countless witnesses that could attest to my emotional toil through this tough time. I have both written records for the amounts he owed and denied.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help if I can. Do you have any specific questions? I just want to make sure that I understand what legal information you are seeking.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already provided the question previously, but in case you didn't see it, here it is again: I am in need to recover a personal loan...
16 May 2015 08:20I tried countless times and I was going through quite an emotional roller coaster with the intentional neglect and insults. I have countless witnesses that could attest to my emotional toil through this tough time. I have both written records for the amounts he owed and denied.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again.
Yes, I already did read that information that you previously provided. I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. However, I do not know what legal information you are seeking. How can I help you? Do you have a specific question that I can answer for you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to know how I can get the money back plus further monetary compensation for emotional distresses from this very person? who can help me to ensure I won't waste more time and money in such a pursue.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again.
Thank you for clarifying. The only way that you can force the person to pay you, if he refuses to do so voluntarily, is to sue him. However, it is highly unlikely that you would win anything for the emotional distress that he caused you. Any damages for emotional distress is very difficult and very rare. You would need to prove that you suffered severe emotional distress that was accompanied by physical symptoms, and that the defendant's conduct was extreme and outrageous, which means the conduct must be heinous and beyond the standards of civilized decency or utterly intolerable in a civilized society. I am sorry to say that what you describe would not likely fit the requirement.
If you wish to successfully sue him, and I strongly suggest you retain an attorney. Winning a lawsuit without an attorney is quite difficult. Nonetheless, if you do wish to sue without an attorney, then my suggestion is to contact your local small claims court clerk who can provide you with the required forms to fill out.
Is that the information that you were looking for? Please let me know, as I'm happy to continue helping.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your honesty. What I know for sure is that he counted I won't go far to take legal actions against him therefore he did whatever he pleased. I am also hesitant if I were to hire lawyer, I might incur substantial legal fees. However, is there a chance that he ended up paying for my fees plus my loan to him as the outcome? Another words, I want to sue him for my lost loan amount, plus interest plus legal fees and my lost time to work and be productive?
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again.
You can certainly sue him for the unpaid debt plus interest, but he would not be obligated to pay your attorney's fees unless you have a contract which specifically states that you are entitled to attorney's fees. It is also unlikely that a judge would grant you reimbursement for lost wages as a result of having to appear in court for unpaid debt.
Since the amount owed is only $2800, I can certainly see why you would be reluctant to hire an attorney.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I send him through collection instead? how do I do that?
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again.
You can certainly sell your loan to a collection agency if you can find one who will buy it. However, they only pay pennies on the dollar. Accordingly, you'd probably be lucky to get a couple hundred dollars for the loan. I wouldn't recommend this approach.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unbelievable... I mean I can't believe this type of person can go on hurting people like myself who was trusting (yes, and gullible). I am aware of his trade and business associates. Can I seek to ruin his reputation by stating the fact?
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again.
Ruining his reputation is kind of a gray area. I would not recommend it. Technically, what you describe would not be defamation because you would be telling the truth. However, you still may find yourself being the target of a lawsuit due to potential privacy issues .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hate to say, I used to employ him at one point. It's called negative recommendation. I think I am obligated to report him as a con artist?
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, and good morning.
There is no legal obligation to report him to anybody. I would not recommend attempting to ruin his reputation just for the sake of getting revenge.