Tina, Attorney
Experience:  Personal Injury & Wrongful Death experience includes judgment for $10M & $3M settlement

$1200 damage to my SUV, he rear ended me. missed 4 days work,

Customer Question

$1200 damage to my SUV, he rear ended me. missed 4 days work, expenses for doctor visit, 4 x-rays on neck and low back. No broken bones, muscle spasms in neck. Took pain meds and muscle relaxers for 5 days and started exercises to help get over pain. It has been 3 weeks and pain is about done, what should I ask for in the pain and suffering column?
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Tina replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

Are you and your medical providers sure that your condition has resolved completely? How long ago did he accident occur?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

We feel like the condition has exaserbated other neck problems, but is not something that needs a lot more work. I am 60 years old which make coming back from these things much more difficult that it used to be.,

Expert:  Tina replied 8 months ago.
I see. Thank you for providing this additional information, Steve.

One mistake many injured parties make is agreeing to a settlement too soon after the incident as the extent of some injuries are not diagnosed or readily apparent until months after an accident as the symptoms progress. So it is important to give yourself enough time and treatment to determine whether there will be additional treatment necessary in the future and whether the condition has truly stabilized or resolved since you could seek the cost of future costs if it you are expected to incur such costs.

As for pain and suffering, a rule of thumb I use is to multiply the actual damages by a factor of 2 or 3 to arrive at an amount for P&S. For example, if your actual damages are $2,000, I would typically request an amount in the range of $4,000 to $6,000 for P&S as an initial offer.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate my service when I have answered your questions so I will be compensated for my time assisting you. Thank you!

Tina, Attorney
Experience: Personal Injury & Wrongful Death experience includes judgment for $10M & $3M settlement
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

That is what I have been hearing. My expenses would be damages, plus lost wages, plus medical, plus any fees....? Then ask for 2-3 times that total?

Can I use the fee I paid for this, as a one month trial fee?

Steve

Expert:  Tina replied 8 months ago.
Hello again, Steve.

Yes, you would take the actual costs and multiply the result by 2-3 times. Then add that result to the amount of actual costs to arrive at an amount which would represent your initial demand.

The insurer is unlikely to pay for this service as attorney's fees are not typically recoverable in these types of cases.

Expert:  Tina replied 8 months ago.

Thank you very much for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me should a future legal need arise.

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please consider scoring me a 9 or 10. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.

Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by typing your new question in the question box on my profile page. Here is a link to that page, which you can bookmark or add to your favorites: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-tina/. I look forward to hearing from you again should the need arise.