Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 14 years litigation experience
19958803

I was walking my dog, and he ended up biting a pedestrian.

I was walking my dog, and he ended up biting a pedestrian. He went to the ER and received antibiotics. The pedestrian is uninsured and currently homeless. I told him that I would settle his medical bills. Recently he called me and mentioned that he had received the medical bills (ambulance, ER visit, doctor's opinion), totaled to around $2000. Once I take care of the bills, what sorts of measures should I take care of to protect myself from him coming after me legally? What kind of documentation should I have him sign to confirm that all matters have been settled between us?
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
Once I take care of the bills, what sorts of measures should I take care of to protect myself from him coming after me legally? What kind of documentation should I have him sign to confirm that all matters have been settled between us?
.
Although it is pretty unlikely that a homeless person would be able to get an attorney to pay much attention to them if they don't have any unreimbursed damages, you can get them to waive all future claims against you if you have them sign a written "settlement and release" in return for you paying his bills and possibly giving him something for his inconvenience.
.
If it were me, I would probably just offer him a $4-500 in return for him signing a release. You can do a search on the internet and download one or you can just draft up something that says something simple like "In return for $500, I forever release Bob Smith from any further liability or obligation for any injury received on Sept, XX, 2013"
.
It may be overkill because he probably wouldn't ever do anything, but I agree it is a good idea to try and get a signed release just to lock it down.
.
.
Thanks
Barrister, Attorney
Experience: Attorney with 14 years litigation experience