richanne96, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney in private practice in Phoenix, AZ

My question is hopefully for a Florida based attny. I have

My question is hopefully for a Florida based attny.
I have been diagnosed with lung tumors with high probably of lung cancer.
I have a final (of 2) biopsy tomorrow.(Guided)
My question is: I worked at 3 different shipyards from 1978-1981 and on many boats in the late 60's. However most are out of buisness. Is there a "fund" for asbestos (non-meso)through a gov't agency.

Vernon Marshall

richanne96 :

Thank you for choosing Just Answer. There is special workers' compensation coverage for people who work at shipyards. It is under the Longshore and Harbor Workers Compensation Act. You should contact a maritime lawyer about your claim. Under this act, if you experience an injury such as you have described here while on the job you are entitled to disability benefits while you can not work and medical benefits. However, as with regular worker's compensation, you can not sue your employer or otherwise recover from your employer for pain and suffering. However, you may be able to sue any negligent third parties. I hope this is helpful to you.