Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by West

Hello, I was involved in an MVA in August. The other driver

I was involved in an MVA in August. The other driver has hired a lawyer and I believe they may be working their way toward a law suit. I was ticketed at the scene for "improper lane change" I have elected to take the driving class and not get points on my license.

Do you have any advice for me about preparing for a suit?
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Roger replied 9 months ago.

Roger : Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX X'X a Personal Injury litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
Roger : If you didn't have to plead guilty for the violation, that's helpful for you in defending the claim. Also, if you have insurance, then you should be safe from a personal liability standpoint. If you are sued, you just need to turn the lawsuit over to your insurance company and they will provide a lawyer, a defense and will also pay any judgment that may be entered.
Roger : The best thing to do in the interim is to refrain from admitting liability to anyone so it won't be used against you later on in the lawsuit.
Customer:

Thanks Roger. What if the suit is for an amount greater than my insurance limits??

Roger : That seldom is an issue. In my 11 years of practice, this has never occurred.
Roger : The reason is that most attorneys only go after the policy limits (or a lesser amount) because that's the only guaranteed money.
Roger : Trying to recover from an individual is difficult and most people either don't have the money or they'll file bankruptcy to discharged the liability.
Customer:

Wow. OK. Thanks so much. I'll sleep a little easier.

Roger : Also, the person would have to prove property and/or personal injury damage over and above the policy limits before that would be available - - and this is not likely in a case where someone wasn't severely injured or killed.
Roger : Glad to assist. Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Thanks!
Roger, Attorney
Experience: BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by West