Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

Hello, I was involved in an MVA in August. The other driver

I was involved in an MVA in August. The other driver has hired a lawyer and I believe they may be working their way toward a law suit. I was ticketed at the scene for "improper lane change" I have elected to take the driving class and not get points on my license.

Do you have any advice for me about preparing for a suit?

Roger : Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Personal Injury litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
Roger : If you didn't have to plead guilty for the violation, that's helpful for you in defending the claim. Also, if you have insurance, then you should be safe from a personal liability standpoint. If you are sued, you just need to turn the lawsuit over to your insurance company and they will provide a lawyer, a defense and will also pay any judgment that may be entered.
Roger : The best thing to do in the interim is to refrain from admitting liability to anyone so it won't be used against you later on in the lawsuit.

Thanks Roger. What if the suit is for an amount greater than my insurance limits??

Roger : That seldom is an issue. In my 11 years of practice, this has never occurred.
Roger : The reason is that most attorneys only go after the policy limits (or a lesser amount) because that's the only guaranteed money.
Roger : Trying to recover from an individual is difficult and most people either don't have the money or they'll file bankruptcy to discharged the liability.

Wow. OK. Thanks so much. I'll sleep a little easier.

Roger : Also, the person would have to prove property and/or personal injury damage over and above the policy limits before that would be available - - and this is not likely in a case where someone wasn't severely injured or killed.
Roger : Glad to assist. Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Thanks!