Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

I got in an accident, some guy side swiped me and he ran away,

I got in an accident, some guy side swiped me and he ran away, i followed him and got his license plates. the police went to his house, saw the damage on his vehicle, knocked on his door but he did not answer. They took pictures of his vehicle wrote a police report. The police found the insurance of this guy, from his plates. We contacted the insurance but the guy is denying he is the driver. what can we do to get this guy to pay for the damage he did.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

Daniel :

Daniel :

How much are the damages roughly?

Daniel :

Is this guy in Texas?

Customer:

the dealer is quoting 3,000 to fix the van, got an x-ray, my back is in pain

Customer:

their insurance said that they can't do anything because he is denying it

Customer:

this guy is in Texas

Daniel :

Have you considered small claims court?

Daniel :

this way you avoid lawyer fees

Daniel :

and can seek a settlement or a judgment

Daniel :

the insurer will often step in but otherwise he will be personally liable

Daniel :

Is that clear?

Customer:

yes, we considered it, but righ tnow we dont have 3,000 to fix the vehicle and small claims can take months

Daniel :

small claims is the most efficient

Daniel :

it can take a few months

Daniel :

but otherwise complaint to insurer or the debtor do not lead to payment

Daniel :

so that is your best avenue and avoids hiring and paying a lawyer locally

Daniel :

are you satisfied with the answer or can I clarify anything?

Daniel :

awaiting your reply

Customer:

well, my question is, if it was a hit an run, and the person driving was not ticketed because no one knows who the exact driver is, by law does the insurance have to pay

Daniel :

Yes, where covered by policy

Daniel :

it would fall under general policy liability

Daniel :

were you to find the driver, then you would recover from the driver

Daniel :

and reimburse insurer

Daniel :

and insurer can pursue driver for indemnification

Customer:

ok, can we send like a legal document to the insurance asking for this

Daniel :

Yes

Daniel :

You can send a notice of claim letter

Daniel :

asking for it to cover

Daniel :

noting the incident

Daniel :

you may seek to have your broker help with it

Daniel :

I wish you the best.

Daniel :

If I can clarify anything else, of course, ask me

Daniel :

otherwise, kindly select a positive rating for the answer.

Daniel :

awaiting your reply

Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience: Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.