P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs. of legal experience.
11181181

Hi - we were hurt in accident and today we have to go to an

Hi - we were hurt in accident and today we have to go to an IME. Apparently this IME only works for insurance defense teams and I'm worried he will ignore our injuries. Is there any way to protect ourselves (its me and my wife).
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the chance to assist on this matter. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question

The process of the IME is simply to give the defense team an independent evaluation of the injuries. Hence the name (Independent medical examination)

I assume you have your own examination from your own doctor.

The IME will be using that as a reference. Basically the IME is checking to make sure your evaluation is accurate.

I would not worry much about "protection" here...if the evaluation your doctor did is/was accurate? The IME will verify it. That is their role. IF they get it wrong? And you wind up in court? YOu will be able to present evidence to the court that supports your position. Basically, if you have injuries and can document them, that evidence will be available for the court. So even if the IME makes a mistake that will not impact your claim at all. But in practice the IME's typically do a decent job...their client (the defense team) wants an unbiased evaluation...that is what the IME provides.

Now...if the exam by your doctor is not valid? Then the IME may well be able to point that out. Not much you can do in that case. But if the exam by your doctor is valid? Then you have little to worry about.

P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience: 16 yrs. of legal experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Thanks for that. Yes, we have all that. But apparently this particular IME always says everyone is fine...and we'll just have to bring our evidence in court as you said.