LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience.
15277592

helli, in a federal lawsuit, the defendants have been granted

helli, in a federal lawsuit, the defendants have been granted everything (no surprise there, i know). Not only do i have to fly to their city to be deposed for 14 hours over 2 days in a room full of people, about 15 defendants, but they now asked to videotape the deposition too. Some of these people are very corrupt and dangerous. I had no problem with that, assuming the videotaping would capture all parties who spoke on camera, but they refused, saying it can only face me. I am sure this is how its always been done. I still dont care as long as I too can record the deposition form my end. I dont have a ton of money to blow on this, but have a wide lens webcam. Can I object to this one sided taping, and demand that they either tape both sides (as all companys have the equipment to do so) or at least allow me to ALSO tape using the webcam, for my personal copy? Or have I no standing to do so? thank you
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Unfortunately, it is standard procedure for only a deposition witness to appear in the video recording of the deposition. The recording is being made for use at trial, if appropriate, and all the persons at the deposition will not necessarily be the trial attorneys. The court will not order that anyone other than you, as the witness, be photographed for the deposition recording. All the identities of the parties and attorneys present will be set out in the deposition transcript, and each speaker will identify themselves for the record before they speak to you during taping.

You may certainly as to be allowed to do your own recording, but I have no doubt that not all the other parties/attorneys will agree, and they will be able to get a court order preventing your recording if you press the issue. I'm sorry.

It is not going to be possible for you to make a personal recording for your own purposes.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

You may reply back to me using the Reply to Expert link if you have additional questions.

Please understand that I have no control over the how the law impacts your particular situation. Kindly take a moment to rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided.

Thank you,

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney
Experience: I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

happy, sad, it doesnt matter. The answer was fantastic. I can always just raise hell about the way things are in the system, even if i lose this case. The effort is the important part. So i assume i have no right to record anyone asking questions, or have a record of my own, without worrying about altered copies, which the other side is surely not above doing. Wow, the justice system has surprised me this last year. hahah..thank you nonetheless.

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Correct, you have no right to independently record what is going on. I'm sorry. You do have the right to have a separate court reporter come in and take a transcription of the deposition if you wish. You do not have to rely exclusively on the recording.

Thank you for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise. I am generally available at least 6 days a week, and often 7, and it would be my privilege to assist you again in the future.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have, or simply ask for me by name in the first sentence of your new question:
http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-lawtalk/

Thanks again.

Doug

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you again.