Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

Hello...I have had serious harassment issues with two "neighbors&

Hello...I have had serious harassment issues with two "neighbors" that involve killing of several animals (mostly cats) over a three year time frame. This situation has occured because I put food out in the evening for stray animals on my 3.2 acre property. Many other peopole do this as well since properties outside the city can be quite large. I had posted many times on avvo with great responses. I have gone through all legal public channels, police (several times), humane shelter,a conservation officer (including one TV station with no reply) in trying to resolve the issue. I have kept many stray cats that come on my property since I am afraid for their lives. I love them all and they are part of my family. I have a 1/4 acre fenced in property with shelters for these animals. I know where each of my 12 cats are 24/7. Each house has surveillance cameras that cover my front and back door and most of my 3.2 acre property. The second house owner, a police officer,(500' distance from my house)stalks the animals on his camera and shoots them as they get close to his property. He claims they are after his rabbits that he keeps for his hound dogs to hunt in his fenced in area. (The last animal he shot at-it has never been back- was a bobcat I had been feeding every night for over two years). I know this to be a lie.I have a detailed log of most events that have occured. The police officer became irate with me when I talked to him at his work place after he had killed one of my young cats that had gotten out of my "cat proof" fence in Dec. 2012. Since then, the officer has 1)harassed me in many different ways, 2) hacked into my computer and destroyed it with 4,000 viruses, 3)animal cruelty- killed an estimated 15-20 cats (he admitted it indirectly), and possible invasion of privacy with his and neighbors surveillance system that focus on my fron and side doors of my house and property whenever I go outside. I had an attorney send a harassment letter in April, 2013, but that only helped for about a month. I have contacted many attorneys, but I either do not get a reply, or there is no interest in the matter. An out of state attorney told me to file a lawsuit against the officer, but I can not locate anyone that wants to help me. Could you provide me with assistance or someone that could possibly help me? I am very distressed over this. I continue to get harassed on a daily basis. Thank you for reading this.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 10 months ago.
I'm Fran, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Kindly use CONTINUE or REPLY button to ask for clarification or follow-up questions.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

Unfortunately, with a Police Officer as your neighbor and allegedly doing all these things, it would be very difficult for you to get Justice in the case because the Police Officer would be presumed to be telling the truth and you would be presumed of making things up. However, this is a rebuttable presumption, which an excellent but fearless Attorney would be able to rebut. However, getting that Attorney would be quite difficult because of the involvement of the Police Officer. Nevertheless, you should use the following sites to see if you can file a local Attorney who is fearless enough to take on a Police Officer in a harassment case:

Justia.com

Lawyers.com

Find Legal Aid Provider

Indiana Free Legal Services

You would be looking for Attorneys who handle civil litigation cases.

Finally, you should know that this site does not offer legal representation. So, I cannot represent you in the case. You would need to find a local Attorney who is willing to take your neighbor on.

I am truly sorry that I do not have better news for you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your response on this issue. I have one more question that would involve my own credibility.

I had been an adjunct science professor at a local college for six years and had taught at high schools as well for over twenty-five years. (Unfortunately I have no retirement funds or even health benefits from any of my previous positions). I also hold a doctorate degree (not a PhD) as well as Master's , Bachelor, and Associates degrees from various colleges and universities.

Would this be enough credibility to be considered in a court of law?

Response: Oh Yes.

All the best,

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience: B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.