TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed to Practice Law
9373668

I moved into an apt complex on Sunday and the alarm has gone

I moved into an apt complex on Sunday and the alarm has gone off 3 times in the past 2 days. The first time took over 20 minutes to shut off. It makes a really loud, piercing noise. We have not yet left our dog (a 2 year old, 10-pound poodle) home alone so luckily we've been able to remove him shortly after the alarm goes off. We will eventually need to leave him here alone so I have some concerns that his hearing may be permanently damaged.

The front office has been really unhelpful. So far the attempts to repair the alarm have been unsuccessful. Today I decided to ask for the alarm company contact info so I can find out how loud the alarms are.... just wanted to know if it would damage my dogs ears. It was near 5pm on Saturday so there were only temps working there who did not even know the number to the alarm company or maintenance. Luckily, the fire department came and disconnected the alarm system.

Question: Could the apt be held liable if my dogs ears are damaged? I dont mean to make a mountain out of a molehill but just feel like if they say this place is good for pets, they should make sure pets wont harmed by living here. I really care about my dogs health.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

The one problem here is that dogs are considered personal property. This means that you can't win a lawsuit for pain & suffering, etc. So, you could potentially win a lawsuit against the apartment complex for vet bills, but that only goes so far. If your dog's hearing is permanently damaged, there may not be anything a vet can do, and you wouldn't get money for your dog's hearing loss itself.

If I were you I would write the management a letter (so your complaint is memorialized), and I would demand that the alarm system be fixed, and that it also be lowered to a volume that will not cause injury to either people or pets.

If the landlord refuses to take action, and if your dog's hearing is truly damaged, then you may at least have a case to pay for the vet bills, and also to cancel the lease and move.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, your positive feedback is much appreciated. Thank you for using our service!

If you would like to direct additional legal questions to me in the future, then please type "To VAMD" in the subject line of your question.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience: Licensed to Practice Law