Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  I have successfully handled number of Personal Injury cases
26296561

I took my mom for a tooth extraction. The oral surgeon took

I took my mom for a tooth extraction. The oral surgeon took out the wrong tooth. He called and accepted the mistake and offered to extract the other tooth out for free. Oral Surgeon says the other tooth (which was taken out) looked bad too .... but the botXXXXX XXXXXne is my mom's dental doctor referred only one tooth to be extracted which Oral surgeon did not. Do I have any recourse for the lost tooth for my mom? She is 75.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

While you can file a formal complaint against this doctor, generally a claim for dental malpractice for a wrongfully extracted teeth is very difficult to pursue, due to the fact that even a healthy wrongfully extracted tooth of a patient who is 20-30 years old, would generally only qualify for a compensation of several thousand dollars per tooth and it costs much more to litigate dental malpractice case than any potential recovery for a lost healthy tooth or even several teeth.

Unfortunately, if the patient is older and also the health of the wrongfully extracted tooth can be questioned, it makes it even more impracticable to pursue such legal claim.

I wish you the best of luck!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Alex:

Thanks for your response. Since this tooth was not recommended for extraction (the one taken out). Can we ask the Oral surgeon to pay for an implant etc.? I understand from your response that medical mal-practice suite would not be worth it. Would you think a letter from an attorney we hire would bring that in settlement?

Dear Anurag,

Thank you for your follow up.

It is always a good idea to have a local attorney send a demand letter to the oral surgeon and see if it is possible to negotiate a resolution of this situation by this surgeon offering to provide your mother with either free or low cost dental implant in order to avoid facing formal complaint and any other potential legal recourse.

I wish you the best of luck!