ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

Can a pedestrian who was under the influence of marijuana pursue

Can a pedestrian who was under the influence of marijuana pursue a negligence claim against the operator of a motor vehicle which stuck her? Assume the pedestrian was simply walking along the side of the road.

ScottyMacEsq :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

ScottyMacEsq :

Absolutely. Now it's possible that the marijuana could be a factor, and if this goes to a jury, the jury could find the victim "contributorily negligent" and reduce any award accordingly, but it would do so only if there was a good reason to believe that the accident was in some way the fault of the victim.

ScottyMacEsq :

Rather, if the driver hit the pedestrian while the pedestrian was not walking on the road, that would indicate at least negligence, possibly res ipsa loquitur (an act that speaks for itself, in that something like this would not happen but for negligence).

ScottyMacEsq :

The fact that the pedestrian was under the influence would not bar the case, although it could reduce any award by a percentage that the jury finds the pedestrian contributorily negligent, if any.

ScottyMacEsq :

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX luck to you!