Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  I have successfully handled number of Personal Injury cases
26296561

My neighbor did a hit-and-run to my car. My insurance is covering

My neighbor did a hit-and-run to my car. My insurance is covering the cost of my car. He is refusing to admit he was at fault. What do I need to do to file a suit against him for reimbursement for my costs not covered by insurance?
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Did you file a police report?

What evidence do you have that your neighbor hit your car?

What is the amound of damage to your car?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your response.

I did file a police report and I have several pictures of the damage to both

of our cars. I also have have some pieces of his car as do the police.

There was blue paint on the hood of his car. The officer went to his home

where his car was parked (in his driveway) with a massive amount of

damage to the left front end. He hit the rear end passenger side of my

blue car. I also witnessed a silver car pulling away from the scene and

speeding off. He owns a silver Lexus. I was informed today that the total

damage to my vehicle was over $5k and it is totaled.

I have requested a copy of the police report and I will be receiving a

report from the insurance adjuster with specific details on the damages.

Dear Tanya,

Have you received a copy of the police report and contacted the insurance company of the person that hit your car and made a claim?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I haven't received one yet. He has been avoiding the situation completely so I have yet to find out if has has any insurance or not. It's a newer model Lexus so I'm assuming he does. I immediately called my insurance company the night of the accident to file a claim.

I have a lien holder on my vehicle which means I will have to pay them the remaining balance I owe. I just bought the car in April 2013.

Dear Tanya,

Thank you for your follow up.

Once you pick up the police report, you can contact the insurance company of the car that hit your vehicle and file a claim.

If the other driver's insurance denies your claim, then you would be able to file a small claims lawsuit against this neighbor for up to $5000 and here is the link that explains this process:

http://www.courts.wa.gov/newsinfo/resources/?fa=newsinfo_jury.scc&altMenu=smal

I wish you the best of luck and please let me know if you have any related follow up questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you!

Dear Tanya,

I wish you the best of luck.

Please click on the "Excellent Service" feedback, so I can receive credit for my answer.

Bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, but are not required.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: I have successfully handled number of Personal Injury cases