Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with significant personal injury experience

I was in a accident was rear ended last oct The medical bills

I was in a accident was rear ended last oct The medical bills were 10,000 they offered to pay workmans comp back and give me 7,000 is this corect

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. I am very sorry to hear about your car accident.

Settlement values for bodily injury claims are extremely fact dependant. While it is difficult to make sweeping generalizations about what a claimant "should" receive or what his or her claim is likely worth at trial, a general rule of thumb is that the total settlement value should range between 2-3 times the total of medical bills incurred.

Thus, if you incurred $10,000 in medical expenses and the insurance company is only offering to cover your expenses plus $7,000, that is likely an unacceptably low settlement offer, as it amounts to just $17,000--less if the insurance company can negotiate what they owe to the workers compensation insurance carrier (usually a 1/3 reduction is obtainable).

I am not sure if you are representated by an attorney or what your situation is exactly, but I would consider countering their offer with something substantially greater. However, as I am not your attorney and cannot provide "legal advice" through this limited and public online forum, I am in no position to suggest a particular number to you.

What I can say without hesitation, though, is that the settlement offer you have received is extremely low and you really should be able to get a few thousand dollars more than that.

If I can be of any further assistance to you in answering your question, just let me know.