Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide basic personal injury advice to my clients in my own practice.

in a federal case, one of the defendants has been tabbed as

in a federal case, one of the defendants has been tabbed as an expert witness by the attorney representing them. Is that possible??

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

Yes, it is very possible. The right to not testify only applies to criminal cases and only for self-incrimination. A defendant can very well be an expert witness also--for example if there is a claim for medical malpractice and one of the doctors is known as the foremost expert on a specific procedure, for that purpose he could be called to testify as an expert and provide his expertise.

Good luck.