schollomon, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney in Houston, Texas. I specialize in family,employment, personal injury and workers' compensation law.

My mother is in a hospital after serious surgery to remove

Customer Question

My mother is in a hospital after serious surgery to remove masses in her abdomen. In less than 2 weeks they have moved her room over 5 times and she has not gotten any better post op. She was taken off of her post op antibiotics after 2 days only to catch an infection and a week later her wound has become infected resulting in them cleaning it by ripping open the deep cut with their fingers to drain the pus. Is this standard practice for a patient to be moved multiple times and for nurses to take up to 40 minutes to respond to a patients button press?
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  schollomon replied 3 years ago.

schollomon :

Typically health care professionals are held to a reasonable standard of care. That means they must act reasonably under the circumstances and this is judged by what a similar health care professional within the region with similar training and experience would act. In your case, it sounds like there are definitely some issues with the type of care that facility is providing. My advice to you would be to first address the head nurse for the floor on which your mother is located. If you cannot get any where with the head nurse, then I would advise that you contact the hospital's administrative office. The hospital should have a designated individual to address patient concerns. You should keep going up the chain in management until you reach someone who will listen to your concerns and address them directly. Best wishes to you and your family during this difficult time of your mother's illness.