Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide basic personal injury advice to my clients in my own practice.

My question is somewhat complex. I was rear ended by an uninsured

My question is somewhat complex. I was rear ended by an uninsured driver who was under the influence of drugs at the time. He also attempted to flee the scene. What are my legal rights? My insurance company is paying the claim and will go after the driver for reimbursement of both the repairs and my deductible. Will my insurance company report him not having insurance at the time of the accident or is there something I can do? Can I file a police report? Thank you in advance for your help.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

I am sorry that you were hit by someone uninsured. Your insurance company has no duty to contact the police, that is something that you can choose to do on your own. Consider going to the police precinct in the locale where your vehicle was struck and go on record with all of the information. Then the police could potentially choose to charge the other party and issue citations. I am unclear if police were on scene or not, but if they weren't, this is how to best pursue the reporting. Everything else would be left to the insurance company, since it would be up to them to seek reimbursement for their own losses.

Good luck.