Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Attorney. Over 20 years experience in personal injury and law enforcement.
10285032

I am purchasing a malpractice tail - is there anything I should

I am purchasing a malpractice tail - is there anything I should ask before I agree? I was an employee physician in a small practice, so my employer was not going to cover the malpractice tail.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your new question. I look forward to working with you again.

You need to read the tail and find out what it covers. The tail is under the small practice's policy, so you need to make sure it provides you representation and coverage in the event of a claim and not just coverage for the practice alone. Most of these tails are standard though and they cover both the individual doctor and the practice and if the defenses differ the insurance will provide separate counsel for the physician. However, you have to really read the policy.

An indemnity clause is one where one party agrees to cover the other parties losses in the event of a suit, so if it says you are indemnifying the practice, that means you are going to pay damages of the practice if you lose a case and you need to make sure the policy covers that as well and if it does not you need to get a separate umbrella policy to cover you for the indemnification.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: Licensed Attorney. Over 20 years experience in personal injury and law enforcement.