Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

HI. My cousin, has a monye transfer business , two weeks ago

HI.
My cousin, has a monye transfer business , two weeks ago she had to make a bank deposit (large amount.. 140.000$$).... she was at herr appartment, in the morning she took the cahs from her apartment, and in hte hallway of the buikdne, two individual robbed her, she was not physically hurt, but was robbed.. the building can be accesed only with a key, but here are no internal camersa. there was street camera, and police detective got acces to the videos. so far it is still an opne investigation
however, my cousin now owes the $$ to the big companyies that make the actual transfers of money.
i have few questions?
- can we sue the building management, for the loss nand lack of security?
- althoug, my cousin had the $$. in her appartment. she brought the $$. the night beofre form the busines, and she was hoping to make the bank deposits in the morning, and in her busines she has commercial insurance.. can we file a claim with that insurance?
she is also all, nervous, and need medical assitance. can not sleep?.. who can be held responsible for bills?
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am very sorry for your cousin's situation. On this website, I do not always get to give good news, and this is one of these times.

Generally not, I am afraid. A landlord is not responsible for a third party's criminal act. There is one exception, however, which is if (1) there was high crime, (2) the landlord has been told repeatedly by residents and possibly local authorities to do more to deter criminal activity, and (3) the landlord has not done so, and it is found that his actions (or lack thereof) invited criminal activity or at the very least, another reasonable landlord in his situation would have done more in an attempt to prevent crime.

This is very hard to prove, however, and many such civil claims fail, I am afraid.

This depends on what the insurance covers, although most insurance policies only cover matters that happens specifically on business property. It may behoove her to ask for a copy of the policy to see if such a matter is covered, but it likely is not.

If the landlord is found responsible, they may be. If the insurance covers it, then they may be. However, if neither cover it, then I am afraid unless the individuals are found and brought to justice, then no other entity would. I am very sorry.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience: Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.