Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide basic personal injury advice to my clients in my own practice.
18572087

Just found out our landlord gave us a poor reference for a

Just found out our landlord gave us a poor reference for a future residence but has also gave us a move date of July 31st. The poor reference is false, but I am sure you hear that alot. If i am unable to obtain another residence because of this what are my options?
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

If I may ask, how did you find out about a poor reference? What and how were you notified of these comments?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was notified by the property management group that we had applied with for a rental property

Thank you for your follow-up, Kevin.

What you are describing is commonly called 'defamation of character'. Defamation is:
1. A defamatory (untrue) statement
2. Of or concerning the plaintiff (you)
3. Communicated to third parties AND
4. Causes damages, specifically financial damages.

Defamation can be oral (slander) or written (libel). In either case you can sue for your financial losses that you suffered due to the untrue comments and threaten the landlord that if he continues defaming your name, that would be your next recourse.

Good luck