lwpat, Attorney
Experience:  Practicing attorney with expertise in trucking accidents

What would be a good personal injury statute to sue under in

What would be a good personal injury statute to sue under in federal court. Where can I find a list?

Thanks for using JA. I will do my best to answer your questions. DON’T FORGET, your deposit is not used to compensate me until you rate my service. There are really no such Federal statutes so there is not actually such a "list". You would sue for the personal injury based on the state court statutes. Federal court depends on jurisdiction. Your damages have to be more than 75,000 and there has to be what is called "diversity". If you are pro se, you may want to stay in state court if possible since that is usually easier. It all depends on what happened, a car wreck, slip and fall, etc. Usually you sue for common law negligence rather than a statute but if a statute applies, such as failure to yield, then you would also have a cause of action based on that statute. Your local law library should have a book that lists the civil causes of action for your state with examples and forms. If you have a good case, you can find an attorney that will take it on a contingency basis. If you can't find an attorney to take your case on a contingency, that usually means that you don't have a case, especially for Federal Court.

Hope that helps and I will be happy to answer a followup question