dkennedy
dkennedy, Attorney
Experience:  Over 15 years experience
5930486

my wife has cancer that she will not survive from, the doctor

Customer Question

my wife has cancer that she will not survive from, the doctor offered her a treatment but with not much hope for her and she would have to go threw lots of pain and inconfort , she decided to decline the tratment and end her life with the time she has left fealing not to bad, my question is, since she refused the treatment can she still claim half her life insurance
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  dkennedy replied 3 years ago.

dkennedy :

dkennedy :

Please let me send my best to you both in this difficult time. She certainly can claim half her life insurance. No one can be forced to take any medication or treatment in order to qualify for the draw against life insurance. What someone cannot do is to do something to hasten his or her death. Which would not make sense if one wants to draw out money. But, there are things that could harm a person I suppose. She can and should apply for the money ASAP. Luckily she has that option. Please follow up with any questions.

JACUSTOMER-iczbzd9z- :

do you know if it's complicated to do and what i should start with

dkennedy :

You need to request the forms from your life insurance company. Send by letter, no phone calls---calls get ignored much too often. It is not at all complicated.

JACUSTOMER-iczbzd9z- :

i will call tomorrow and let you know what they say

dkennedy :

Please do. I'm here to help and chat as long as you need to.