Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor

My wife was a nurse and took her life with meds she took from

My wife was a nurse and took her life with meds she took from the hospital where she worked. Can I sue?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I am very sorry for your loss.

In order to bring a wrongful death claim, family members must be able to show that the person being sued did something, either intentionally or negligently, that directly contributed to the person's death. If she had access to medications by virtue of working at the hospital, that's just a part of her job and doesn't mean that the hospital was negligent or caused the death, anymore than a gun shop would be liable if an employee intentionally shot himself. There has to be something more.

When a person takes her own life, it's also very difficult to show that, had the instrument used not been available, the person would not have chosen some other method.

If you have some records or other evidence that suggests that the hospital contributed to or caused her death, then you may want to sit down with a local attorney who will give you a free consultation. Most lawyers accept these cases on contingency, so you only need to pay if the case is resolved in your favor. It's easier to evalaute a case with documentation in front of you. But there would have to be something more than just that she got the medication from the hospital.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you. Again, I'm very sorry to hear that this happened.