How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Personal Injury Law
Satisfied Customers: 36384
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience.
Type Your Personal Injury Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am separated from my wife,her boyfriend paid my a visit Saturday

This answer was rated:

I am separated from my wife,her boyfriend paid my a visit Saturday night,and hit me in the face. A fight ensued. I broke my hand in the process. Called the police. What are my options here?
Good evening,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Paid you a visit where---your home?
2. How did he get in your home?
3. What did the police do?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He came to my home. I cracked the door open the first time,because I didn't know who it was. As soon as he said his name i told him to leave. He knocked again on my door,I opened it,he hit me so I defended myself broke my hand. He came back again. I opened the door and told him I was calling the police. The police came,and called it assault contact.

Good evening,

Thanks for the additional information.

Was he arrested? Spoken to and released? Is there a warrant out for his arrest?

What is it that you would like to see happen? What are you trying to accomplish?


Did the fight take place inside or outside your home?


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Fight took place outside the home.

Good evening,

You don't have any control over what the police do, criminally, however you do have a meritorious civil action for the assault.

You may sue the boyfriend in civil court for personal injury and seek =money damages for your medical expenses, pain and suffering as well as punitive damages for his having attacked you.

You may file in small claims court and represent yourself, or you may want to consider hiring a personal injury attorney who can represent you in the event that you want to sue outside of small claims court. You appear to have a meritorious case, based on the facts you have provided.

You may reply back to me again, using the Reply to Expert link, if you have additional questions.

I wish you the best in your future,


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What is your opinion on the previous assault on my wife? Can I use this to sway a decision in my favor? Possible restraining order? Don't want my son around this person.

Good evening,

You wrote: What is your opinion on the previous assault on my wife? With all sincerity and respect---what are you talking about?

Your wife was never mention as being assaulted by anyone. I am happy to discuss custody issues if you would like, but that is an entirely different from a personal injury case you have---it is a family law question.

As you may not be aware, the Rules of JustAnswer specify that each customer ask one question in each question thread. For new questions, the customer is asked to open a new question thread. I am required to ask that you place these new questions in a new thread, as is required by JustAnswer. I do sincerely XXXXX XXXXX any inconvenience this might cause you.

You may ask for me personally by referring to me by name (Doug) in your new question and I will be able to assist you. As the questions that you are posing are new, I am required to ask you to please open up a new question thread for them. Thank you for your understanding,


LawTalk and 4 other Personal Injury Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:

Thanks again.