Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs Personal Injury, Real Estate & Bus, Family Law, Criminal Defense, Immigration, Employment Law
20073497

My son-in-law in Houston caused an accident where there was

My son-in-law in Houston caused an accident where there was personal injury. My daughter is on several of her mother's (my ex-wife) bank accounts and is worried if they are sued, her mother's funds could be at risk. Her mother lives in Maryland. Could those funds be attached?
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you with your question,

Texas is a community property State and, therefore, your daughter's accounts are in jeopardy. If her name is XXXXX XXXXX mother's accounts and the accounts are in Texas, those accounts would be in jeopardy also. Theoretically, the bank accounts in Maryland could be in jeopardy. This could happen if the injuries sustained by the other party are so serious and your son-in-law's automobile liability insurance coverage is not enough and the injured party has a very aggressive lawyer, the Maryland accounts could, conceivably be in danger. To be on the safe side, your daughter should remove her name from her mother's accounts temporarily, at least until this matter is resolved, or you see what the injured party's lawyer will demand in order to settle the matter,

______________________________________________________________________

Please be kind enough to rate Excellent Service" so that I receive credit for assisting you,

Bonus and Positive Feedback on survey is very much appreciated,

ANDREA

Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience: 25 yrs Personal Injury, Real Estate & Bus, Family Law, Criminal Defense, Immigration, Employment Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Removing her name would work even if she was on the account(s) as of the date of the accident. It would be before any judgment of course.

Yes, that would work and that is what I was saying in my previous Answer when I said that your daughter's name should be removed temporarily until this matter is resolved. Removing her name now is the safest way to go,

_____________________________________________________________________

ANDREA

Andrea, Esq., Attorney