Personal Injury Law
Ask a Personal Injury Lawyer. Get an Answer ASAP
The company is called Silver Stream Legal Funding Group. I would've never let him take the loan out if I knew the cost of it. He never told me about it. I just found the papers and looked at them about a week ago when the lawyers told him they were going to try and get him at least $10,000 for himself.
He was told that the loan was taken care of back in June. He has still not received any money. If the loan was paid back shouldn't he be receiving his money too? I am sure they are taking advantage of him.
(a) A lawyer shall:
(1) promptly inform the client of any decision or circumstance with respect to which the client’s informed consent, as defined in Rule 1.0(e), is required by these Rules;
(2) reasonably consult with the client about the means by which the client’s objectives are to be accomplished;
(3) keep the client reasonably informed about the status of the matter;
(4) promptly comply with reasonable requests for information; and
(5) consult with the client about any relevant limitation on the lawyer’s conduct when the lawyer knows that the client expects assistance not permitted by the Rules of Professional Conduct or other law.
Where would I get papers for him to sign a power of Attorney over to me and will his lawyers actually talk to me about the case and show me the settlement documents that I ask to see. As in the Check signed over to them and the checks paid out to those that were owed?
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on JustAnswer are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. JustAnswer is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains.
The responses above are from individual Experts, not JustAnswer. The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credential of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service (last updated February 8, 2012).