Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 14 years litigation experience
19958803

For Barristerinky: A family has an irrevocable trust. The

For Barristerinky: A family has an irrevocable trust. The trustors have passed. There is an oil well on the property and the check is still coming in the name of trustor, the mother whose name the property was in before it was put into trust. (She passed 10 years ago) The current trustees are still depositing the checks in her name in the trust bank account. The oil company has a lease agreement which was signed before the land was moved into the trust.

Several questions:

1.Should the oil company be given a copy of trust agreement with amendment which includes signatures of the two new trustees (there are three trustees total)?

2.Should the oil company be given a copy of the deed showing the land has been transferred to the trust?

3. Should the check for oil royalties now be made out to the trust so anyone of the trustees can sign it for deposit?
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
.
.
Kind of...The company should be given a copy of any amendment showing the new trustees, but only the page from the original trust where the original trustees were named and the page granting authority for the changes. The oil company doesn't need the entire trust, just the papertrail that shows that any changes were authorized.

.
Yes, as that will show that the trust now owns it and any checks should be made out to the trust.

.
Yes, once the company receives the deed, they should make the changes to reflect that the trust is the owner and payee for any royalties.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Will the oil company need any information like death certificates that the grantors are deceased or is the amendment with new trustees sufficient?

Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
.
No, just the amendments and the copy of the deed will be enough. They just need to know who owns the property now and who has the legal authority to act on behalf of the trust.
.
.
Thanks
Barrister, Attorney
Experience: Attorney with 14 years litigation experience