N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Experience:  since 1983

I had a bad accident on the job - fell on a wet floor and have

I had a bad accident on the job - fell on a wet floor and have ugly fractures on 2 ribs; extreme pain. The workers compensation doctor, who didn't do anything to treat me, wants me to go back to work Monday. I am in extreme pain even when taking pain pills. Do I have any rights to refuse the workers compensation doctor's decision? Can I go to another doctor of my choice? Thank you.
Did you choose the doctor initially?
"Injured workers must choose a treating doctor from the network’s list. The treating doctor provides their workers’ compensation-related care and makes referrals to specialists."

Do you have an attorney working on your case?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no. I don't have an attorney, but I would like to see one so I can understand my rights under the law. Also, do I have a choice of taking worker's comp or not taking it and going to my primary doctor? Worker's comp sent me to a family physician who determined I have to work with all the pain and suffering. He didn't treat anything; he didn't diagnose anything. Can you please advise? Thank you very much.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No I did not choose the doctor. They just told me to go to the one they sent me to.
I agree that you should have your own primary care physician examine you.

My opinion is that you should have been allowed to choose your own doctor.

I urge you to consult a local attorney about this incident. You cannot opt out of the workers comp system and sue for personal injuries that happened on the job, but you can get a free consultation from some of the workers comp lawyers listed by location at

I hope this information is helpful.
Thank you for the Excellent rating, and thank you very much for the bonus!