Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  I have successfully handled number of Personal Injury cases
26296561

i have a small plumbing business in Connecticut set up as a

i have a small plumbing business in Connecticut set up as a LLC. i was performing work in an apartment complex which each tennet owns or rents the units. The project consisted of re piping heating lines thru out the building. In one of the apartments there was a fitting that: 1. we didnt install 2. it was the wrong type of fitting to use 3. we never saw the fitting until we got the call about the leak. Now we were doing work on the system that day when the fitting burst a few hours after we left the building for the day. as we went back there an noticed it, we explained to the property management that we didnt install it and that it was existing in the building already. he agreed and we made the repair and billed them out for it. Little did i know that my insurance had lapped during this project. Now here it is 2 years later i am being sued for negligence, installing an improper fitting (which we didnt) improper pressurizing the system (not true since the building has devices that limit the pressure) failure to notify the tennet of an unsafe condition (we didnt see it so how did we know) i dont know what to do and i am very nervous about losing everything i have over this suit. i do not see how i am held responsible for this but what can they take from me personally if i loose the case
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation.

Are you being named as defendant as an individual or LLC or both?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Business is being sued as a apportionment defendient the other defendient is the building association.
Dear Jay,

Thank you for your follow up.

Do I understand correctly that you are personally not named as a defendant?

Is your LLC still in business and does it have any assets?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is correct. My name is XXXXX XXXXX to be found on the papers that were sent to me, just the business. I am still in business but the business has no assets except for what ever cash is in the bank. My trucks are registered to myself and not the business an the business does not own any property
Dear Jay,

Thank you for your follow up.

If the lawsuit is against your LLC, your personal assets would generally be protected, even if the plaintiff obtains a judgment against your LLC, however it is never a good idea to simply ignore a lawsuit, even if it is against your LLC which does not have any assets, aside from company bank accounts, since if your LLC does not file an answer and does not contest the damages alleged in the plaintiff's complaint, the plaintiff will obtain a default judgment against your LLC and you might have to close this LLC or the LLC would be forced to declare bankruptcy.

I wish you the best of luck and please let me know if you have any related follow up questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am planning on sending in the papers an getting a lawyer. I received the papers a few days ago an haven't been able to eat or sleep cause of this. Just looking to try to put my head to rest over this unit next week when I talk to a lawyer
Dear Jay,

I completely understand how frustrating and upsetting this situation can be for you.

However, the good news that you are not individually named as a defendant and you will be able with the help of your attorney to present your position in court and to contest any allegations of wrongdoing against your LLC.

Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: I have successfully handled number of Personal Injury cases