How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Personal Injury Law
Satisfied Customers: 109937
Experience:  Licensed Attorney. Over 20 years experience in personal injury and law enforcement.
Type Your Personal Injury Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I want to change my workmans comp. attorney because he

This answer was rated:

If I want to change my workman's comp. attorney because he is going back on a verbal agreement we had 3 times, can I do it before it's too late? I did sign a contract, but it is not dated and I don't think it is official really. It is a family friend. I just received a letter regarding a supersedeas, and now my attorney is going back on his word again. All he has done is collect my medical records, all of which I have. He was supposed to have change my initial diagnosis on my paperwork for the Dept. of Labor a while ago and he is just doing it now because of this letter.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

You have a right to terminate your attorney at any time. Even though the contract is not dated, if you signed it then the contract will be valid I am afraid as long as it describes the service he would provide for you. You can also be liable to him to pay him for whatever work he has actually done on the case and he can place a lien on your workers compensation case to get paid for that work under the equitable legal principle of "quantum meruit" which means "for the work done." The law, however, does allow ou to terminate his services if he is not performing in your best interests.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK - so since, in writing, I can prove he keeps changing his mind about what his fee will be, I can terminate him...correct? It is through e-mail.

My signature is the only one on it...nothing else. No stamp, no date, nothing...

How do I know if he will charge me a ridiculous amount for the work he has done thus far?

I have already paid out $2100.00 dollars that I wasn't supposed to pay. He changed his mind about our agreement. He actually just sent me an e-mail yesterday stating that he hasn't decided upon his fee.

Thank you for your response.

You can indeed terminate him and you need to do so with a regular letter (you can send a copy of the letter by email).

Your signature on the contract is the only one required, not his since he provided you the agreement (unless it specifically states in the contract that signatures of both parties is required). The date is not necessary as long as the services he would provide are described. No stamp is required either, just your signature.

You do not know what he will charge you for the work done, but if he does charge an unreasonable amount and your new attorney cannot negotiate it with him to something reasonable, then you file a motion to dispute the fees and the court will review the fees to determine reasonableness.

As far as him not deciding on his fee, he is supposed to inform you of his fees and his failure to do so can be a violation of the rules of professional conduct for which you can file a complaint to the state bar .
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Satisfied Customers: 109937
Experience: Licensed Attorney. Over 20 years experience in personal injury and law enforcement.
Law Educator, Esq. and 11 other Personal Injury Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • Infolawyer



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
< Last | Next >
  • Infolawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • LawTalk's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide basic personal injury advice to my clients in my own practice.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Personal Injury & Wrongful Death experience includes judgment for $10M & $3M settlement
  • Brandon, Esq.'s Avatar

    Brandon, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Has received a certificate of recognition from the California State Senate for his outstanding legal service.
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16 yrs. of legal experience.

Related Personal Injury Law Questions