richanne96
richanne96, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney in private practice in Phoenix, AZ
69015496

My wife was induced into labor at 39 weeks. She was given a

My wife was induced into labor at 39 weeks on 4/4/13. She was given a lot of Pitocin to induce and she dialated to 10cm and was in labor for 24 hours and pushing for 1.5 hours, but was unable to deliver and had to have a c-section. She delivered the baby and was sewn up and sent to recovery, but while in recovery, it was found that she had a lot of uterine bleeding. The OB had left but returned after the residents contacted her an hour later. The residents were left to try to stop the hemmoraging and ultimately my wife had to have an emergency hysterectomy due to uterine atony and blood loss. It was a traumatic experience that she was in the ICU for a few days and had a long recovery. Although the baby is healthy, we are devastated that we are unable to have another child. I have requested and received the medical files from the hospital but our OB is not a doctor there. I am not sure what to make of the records and no idea if there was malpractice.

richanne96 :

You will need to get the medical records from your OB separately. When you have all the records, you should take them to a personal injury attorney in your area who practices in the area of medical malpractice. The attorney will send the records to a medical expert, who will review them to determine if you have a case. It is impossible for you as a lay person, even with the help of just answers, to know from reading the records whether there was any negligence on the part of the OB or the hospital personnel. Even most PI attorneys can not tell from reading the records. That is why we sent the records to medical experts, who are doctors, for a preliminary review. PI lawyers work on a contingency fee basis and will not charge you for a consultation. If they believe you may have a case, they will send your records out for review. This is the only way to know if you have a case worth pursuing.