Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide basic personal injury advice to my clients in my own practice.

Malpractice? I had surgery 10 weeks ago to remove a neuroma

Malpractice? I had surgery 10 weeks ago to remove a neuroma between my 4th and 5th toe. I've given my foot plenty of rest, and the pain continues. My toe is numb and stiff. I still have a lump under my toe and it continues to be an issue. I saw two different doctors. The first doctor told me it wasn't cancer and I would be good to go for the removal of the Neuroma. The second Dr. told me he had no idea and that it could be Cancer (it was benign, thank God.) This had me freaked out for over a month. The only reason I didn't go to the other Dr. which seemed to know more was due to scheduling. I would've had to wait 3 months before I had it removed Vs. having it removed the following month. At the time I had Kaiser, which I've dropped because of all the issues. I can't work out, I can't walk too long before I'm having to sit down. The first Dr. knew right away. The Dr. that performed the surgery was very nervous on my 3rd visit. He told me it was normal, that it will be ok and quickly walked out of the room. I'm 6'3 225 lbs a former athlete and this has seriously put a hold on my life. I can't work out, and have to sit after walking a short distance. The Dr. didn't remove the whole lump. This was there during the healing process. Had he done the job right, I wouldn't have to go through another surgery. I understand they may grow back, however in my case, it wasn't completely removed. My toe no longer can bend. i fear he may have dome more harm then good. Is there a case?
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your post. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

Have you spoken to a medical professional post procedure to see if the initial procedure was done correctly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So far the answer I received was that he should have removed the whole lump (which was the plan). Also, my toe not moving, feeling numb and stiff is not normal. I truly feel he may have cut too deep or possibly the tendon. I have no movement of my toe. Daily I try and move it with no luck. I can't feel my toe at all...

Thank you for your follow-up, Bryan.

An attorney, in this case, cannot tell you immediately if there is malpractice but medical malpractice is a very complex analysis of facts. The attorney, with the help of medical experts, would have to review whether or not the treatment you were subjected to was based on proper medical procedures and texts, and whether or not the doctor came to the right conclusion. Malpractice is really based on whether or not a competent doctor with the same specialization or skill would make the same decisions, or if the decisions made were proper or not based on the diagnosis. It may well be that the doctor cut too deep but that requires you to first obtain a copy of your medical records and then see other equivalent medical professionals who can testify that an error was made. Then an attorney would be able to evaluate your chances of being able to prevail an whether or not filing is a viable solution. Please understand that I am not stating that you aren't injured, nor am I minimizing your potential pain and suffering, I am just explaining what the process would be here to find out if there is a viable cause of action.

Hope that helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I appreciate the answer.

Bryan,

You are most welcome and I hope that you are able to make a recovery.

If you found my information to be useful, please do not forget to positively rate my answers to you so that I may obtain credit. Thank you!

Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience: I provide basic personal injury advice to my clients in my own practice.