Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

Im staying at motel six. Yesterday i went out to meet a friend

Im staying at motel six. Yesterday i went out to meet a friend n the parking lot while barefoot. I tepped n piece of glass that went right thru the thickest part of my heel. I tried to get it out but in doing so, it broke. Now there is piece of glass lodged in my heel and i ill have to go to the doctor to have it removed. Is there any liability issues here to he motel? I need to know if should report it the office for any reason.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am sorry for your situation.

Is there any liability issues here to he motel?

Possibly, yes. Allow me to explain. As a hotel visitor, one is a invitee, that is, someone who is there to do business with the hotel. McStay v. Citizens National T. & S. Bank, 5 Cal. App. 2d 595 - Cal: Court of Appeal, 2nd Appellate Dist., 2nd Div. 1935. An invitor bears a duty to warn an invitee of a dangerous conditions on their property. Schwartz v. Helms Bakery Limited, 67 Cal. 2d 232 - Cal: Supreme Court 1967.

A broken glass is a dangerous condition if it was on THEIR parking lot, that they control. As such, they are liable, arguably.

I need to know if should report it the office for any reason.

The answer is yes, because whatever the office does will help make one's case, and, can lead to the hotel offering some kind of a deal to avoid litigation.

An attorney is recommended. May I recommend the CA Bar referral program - here. The attorneys are vetted and qualified. You should be able to find an attorney you are confident with and whom you can trust, and who is available ASAP.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience: Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.