Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide basic personal injury advice to my clients in my own practice.

How do I find out the financially responsible party of a restaurant/bar

How do I find out the financially responsible party of a restaurant/bar in which I cut my finger pretty badly on their bathroom door lock?Is it advisable to try to resolve it over the phone before writing a complaint letter?
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
To find out, consider conducting a business entity search at your state's department of state or department of corporations website (whichever agency is the one in charge of approving and registering business entities). Any registered corporation with the state must at least provide the name of their registered agent and that agent's address for exactly this type of a situation where if someone wishes to file suit, they would know where to sue, or whom to address the documentation to.
In terms of resolving it in private first, it is definitely cheaper as an option but it is also not binding. I doubt the other party will choose to do anything before they receive a demand either in writing from you or from an attorney.
Good luck.