Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience in personal injury law.

I broke my foot a week ago while walking into my apartment

I broke my foot a week ago while walking into my apartment on some uneven pavement. I was walking in and stepped on the pavement which is about an inch higher then the rest and rolled my foot.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am JudgeLaw and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide you excellent service.

What is your question?

Was this on public or private property?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I want to know if they can be held responsible for medical bills? This was on the complex property walking in a side door of the building. It happened on may 31st & didn't get out of the ER till after 830 pm. I went to the office and told them on Tuesday morning after seeing the othepidic surgeon which I was told I had to see. The pavement has yet to be fixed and no one has contacted me from the office.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX the additional information.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you, but I believe I have information which you will find helpful.

Yes, the property owner could be held liable if they are found to be negligent. For the owner to deemed negligent they need to have been put on notice that pavement had a dangerous defect. If they live there or visit the property then the notice should be easy to establish.

To commence the process you would file a claim with the landlord's liability insurer.

You are not required to retain a personal injury attorney, but it will probably go more quickly if you do. There is no reason you need to learn as you go.

It is my privilege to assist you. Let me know if you need further information.  I hope I have helped you beyond your expectations in the service I have provided to you.  I am here for you.

Please remember to rate my answer when our communication is completed so I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested.

If you feel the need to provide a low rating, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will happily answer your follow-up questions and assist you until I am able to explain the answer to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to your situation, so please do not penalize me for having to deliver bad news.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have one more quick question. So the property manager did take an accident report, and within 30 minutes they were looking at the pavement that I rolled my foot on! I also took pictures of the pavement and called down there today because I haven't heard anything. I asked for a copy of the accident report and they said it was an internal document. Are they allowed to tell me I can't have a copy? I told the office manager I was getting some bills and wanted to know what to do with them and she said the report was sent to the corp. office and was with the controller I don't know what that means and I feel like they don't care this happened.
Thank you for following up.

Yes, they can refuse to give you the report. However, you attorney would be able to get all of the documents and internal records during discovery.

You should probably have, at least, an initial consultation with a local personal injury attorney. The manager may try to delay or otherwise put off resolving your claim. An attorney could be able to protect you better than you could protect yourself.

Thank you.

Thank you, Jody, for your positive rating of my service to you. Let me know if you need more help or have future questions. I will be here for you. Just ask for me by name at the start of your question - "JudgeLaw" or use the following link (which you can bookmark in your browser):

Best wishes and good luck to you.

If it is not too much trouble, when you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JA/Pearl in a day or two, please do rate me highly (9 or 10). It affects my ability to continue to assist you and other customers on JA/Pearl and would be most appreciated.