Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Attorney. Over 20 years experience in personal injury and law enforcement.

in 2008 the president issued stimulus checks and my check was

in 2008 the president issued stimulus checks and my check was stolen from my mail box ,found out my sister stole it , if i were to press charges is there a chance that she will have to do jail time, the check was for $600 dollars and i have a copy of the check from the IRS that she forged my name and then she signed and cash it
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Stealing mail is a federal felony and punishable by up to 5 years in prison and a $10,000 fine. There is also a statute of limitations for prosecution in federal court for such criminal acts and it is 5 years from date of the criminal offense for theft of mail or forgery of the check. Under the federal law, there are mandatory sentencing guidelines, so for a federal felony she will do some jail time, most likely as a first offender the minimum jail time she will receive is 18 months upon conviction.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.