Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide basic personal injury advice to my clients in my own practice.

I received papers today saying my atty has filed a motion to

Customer Question

I received papers today saying my atty has filed a motion to be relieved as counsel. There is a Case Management Conference and a date for a hearing for the motion. Do I show up to both? Thank you for your help.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

To answer your question directly, you do need to appear for the case management conference. This is, for all practical purposes, a status hearing where both parties are quizzed by the judge as to how their discovery is taking place and if there are any concerns in obtaining any information. In terms of appearing for the hearing for being relieved as counsel, that you do not need to appear to unless you are planning on somehow contesting your attorney's desire to leave the case. Otherwise the judge himself evaluates whether your case would suffer irreparable harm if the attorney leaves the case, or if you would be granted enough time to be able to prepare on your own or granted enough time to retain someone else.

Hope that helps.