TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead Personal Injury Trial Lawyer
17219180

I live in Orange county, CA and My dog bit someone as he tried

I live in Orange county, CA and My dog bit someone as he tried to break up a fight between my dog and his dog, and now my dog has to be quarantined for rabies for ten 10 days.

Questions:
Can I shorten that time or ask to be able to walk him? He is healthy and is current on his vaccinations.

What happens in orange county, CA if I am caught walking my dog who is on quarantine?

What happens to the dog?

What happens to me?
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  TexLaw replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

If you take your dog out for a walk, this does violate the quarantine. The dog must remain on your property and must be "under restraint by leash, closed cage, or paddock" (locked high fenced area).

If you are caught off your premises with the dog during the quarantine, any peace officer has the right to kill the dog on sight or take the dog away from you from you. They are not going to kill the dog on sight if you are holding it on a leash, but they will likely take it to the pound to hold for the rest of the time.

If you are caught, you will be fined $1,000.00.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,
ZDN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any way to shorten the time frame or get permission to walk the dog? He is healthy and current on his vaccinations. MY dog is high energy and he needs twice daily walks
Expert:  TexLaw replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, there is not. A quarantine does not have exceptions.
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience: Lead Personal Injury Trial Lawyer