Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor
26798026

If your dog bites someone in Texas, is the owner required to

If your dog bites someone in Texas, is the owner required to surrender the dog to Animal Control to be quarantined, even if the dog is up to date on shot records, and there is no history of the dog biting anyine before? If so, does the dog have to be quarantined at the animal control facility or is home quarantined allowed? Thanks.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Unfortunately, Texas Health and Safety Code, Section 822.002 requires the seizure of any dog that causes serious bodily injury. The animal cannot be held at home. The county will hold a hearing to determine whether the dog caused death or serious bodily injury and, if so, whether to return the dog to the owner. The owner is not allowed to hold the dog during this process. If the owner does not voluntarily surrender the dog, then the county will get a warrant to enter the property and take him.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If it is a friends dog, and the shot records are up to date, do you know if the person who got bit is REQUIRED by law to give Animal Control the identity of the dog? The person that got bit does not want the dog to be quarantined, and the bite is not severe. Thanks

If animal control wanted to go through the time and effort of getting a subpeona, yes, the person who got bit would be required to give the dog's identity. They typically wouldn't go through that for a minor injury, though. If someone were seriously mauled or killed, they might.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks.